Need to lose weight. Have arthritis, erosion and bone spurs. Have pain. What can I do?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
I love to exercise and need to lose weight, but my knees are bad (arthritis, erosion, bone spurs, etc.) I hate the water, even though I know it's good for arthritis. I own a treadmill, but using it makes the pain worse. I have an aerobic hoop (my favorite piece of equipment), but even that bothers my knees. What can I do?
Posted Mon, 8 Jul 2013 in Arthritis
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 51 minutes later

For weight loss program, you need combined efforts of diet control, exercises and body mind balance.

As you are not able to do treadmill and swimming here are my exercises for you, which will definitely, help in quick weight reduction.

1 lying on your back flat raise both legs simultaneously 6 inch from ground and lift[6 inch ] head and hand pointing towards feet.[hold position for 15 sec][BOAT POSE]

2 lying on back raise leg straight from hip upto 60 degree and make big circle in air, now do with opposite leg.

3 Now lying on you stomach raise one leg 6 inch and hold for 15 sec, now do with other leg, and now both leg

4 continue lying on stomach raise both leg and head with both arm [ arm straight in front] , do for 15 sec [SUPERMAN POSE], keep breathing in all position, do this before taking any food.

5 Daily morning walk

6 knee strengthening exercises for knee osteoarthritis- quadriceps strengthening, knee flexion and extension sitting on chair,

Now in diet
AVOID- cheese,non-veg,bakery items,butter, buffalo milk, potato,bread,spicy food, tea/coffee/drinks[alcohol]
TAKE-green leafy vegetables, salads, cucumber,fresh fruits, sprouts, legumes brocolli, drink lot of water.

Stress and anxiety also increases weight so avoid it.

Follow-up: Need to lose weight. Have arthritis, erosion and bone spurs. Have pain. What can I do? 8 hours later
Thank you very much. I'll try it all.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Gandhi 14 hours later
You are welcome.

If you do not need further clarifications, please close this discussion and review.

Best Regards