Nausea, vomiting triggered by odour. Was diagnosed with stomach ulcer. Can ulcer cause heightened sense of smell?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - Jan 2013
Jan 2013
Excellent

Question
Can a stomach ulcer cause heightened sense of smell? I had a severe ulcer two years ago which has since healed. I think it is coming back. During this time i have developed an extreme sensitivity to odors and smells that causes nausea and vomiting. This includes the inability to be anywhere close to anyone cooking food. Can this be caused by the ulcer? It is causing a problem for my family in that they cannot prepare food to eat, even things that are relatively bland and don't smell that much
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 33 minutes later
Hi XXXXXX
Welcome to XXXXXXX forum.

Let me know the associated symptoms along with mentioned.
Do you have acidic belching/ abdominal discomfort/ excessive flatulence/ gargling sound in abdomen/ abdominal bloating after taking meals?
Do you have running or blocked nose/ headache/ vomiting?

With the available described details, there appears to be least correlation between altered smell sense and past history of peptic ulcers.

Altered smell sense is called as "Paraosmia".
Paraosmia could be due to over consciousness on smell sense.
It could also be due to pathology involving olfactory nerve (conducting smell sense).

You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and ENY surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for complete blood count, renal function test, CT scan brain and X XXXXXXX PNS (paranasal sinus) view.

Peptic ulcer by causing edematous blockage of pyloric channel may cause stasis of food in stomach wuth foul smelling from mouth.
But peptic ulcer is not associated with altered smell sense.

You should follow ignorance along with avoidance policy.
You can take Pregabalin/ gabapentin along with methylcobalamin.
You should also take tricyclic antidepressants for relief of your symptoms.

Hope that helps.
Let me know your other query.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava

Follow-up: Nausea, vomiting triggered by odour. Was diagnosed with stomach ulcer. Can ulcer cause heightened sense of smell? 20 minutes later
I think you are saying that the cause of my increased smell is something other than the ulcer. I do have some acidic burping, but no flatulence, bloating or gurgling sounds. Smells of any sort do cause nausea and sometimes in severe cases vomiting.

I do have a frequent runny nose, but no blockage. I also frequently suffer from headaches.

Does this indicate that I have a condition serious enough that I should consult a doctor?

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 1 hour later
You should consult with XXXXXXX medicine specialist and ENT surgeon and should go for thorough check up.
You should also go for endoscopy for better clarification.
This doesn't appear to be a serious problem but you should consult.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava