Nausea, loose stools, retching, no vomiting, mucus in cough. Is it due to gall bladder problem?

For a long time, have nausea in the morning and immediately after eating. Does not last long, usually ok in evening. Loose bowels on awakening every morning. Dry Heaving (retching) relieves it. Have an attack of this every morning. No vomiting of stomach contents, just dry ... then it calms down some mucus coughed up
I belch a lot
have a tenderness in my mid back.
Gas often

i'm thinking its the gall bladder ??? i had an abdominal ct scan but nothing was revealed. an abdominal ultrasound showed a mass on kidney but did not show anything when they did follow up Ct Scan
whats going on?
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 2 hours later

The symptoms you have are definitely suggestive of a Gi problem.It could be the liver ,gall bladder or stomach that is involved.I would have advised that some blood tests be done.Liver enzymes,complete blood count,hepatitis profile and repeat the ultrasound.
Gall bladder problems are likely at your age.A clinical examination would be of immense help.
I would like to have ruled out hepatitis,gall bladder problems,H pylori infection of the stomach.

I would suggest that you see a GI specialist if you havent seen one.

Follow-up: Nausea, loose stools, retching, no vomiting, mucus in cough. Is it due to gall bladder problem? 7 hours later
i seem to have a constant tenderness in my mid back -- my thinking is that may be connected with this. if someone presses the area it is tender and makes me nauseous ..

it is also mostly right in the morning when i wake up (6-8 am)and after breakfast (if i feel like eating) and lunch - after 1 pm it seems to calm down -- until the next morning ..

what does the timing (morning) tell you?

also can a gallbladder problem be referred to the back- but not at the gallbladder itself?
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Thanks for the follow up query.

Gall bladder inflammation can cause referred pain to the back. Its is usually below the scapula on the right side of mid back. Sometimes the pain may travel to the other side also.

Another cause may be related to the liver itself, same as before. Inflammation or enlargement of the liver can also cause pain and nausea.

The timing is relevant when related to the gall bladder and the stomach. There may be gastritis or reflux that may be causing the problem in the morning.

Some blood tests like liver function test will help to you determine the cause.

Also I would like to know if you have any urinary problems?

Any renal inflammation can cause pain in the back. You had mentioned about the renal mass on ultrasound in the previous query.

Please feel free to write back if your have furthur queries.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Nausea, loose stools, retching, no vomiting, mucus in cough. Is it due to gall bladder problem? 8 hours later
I was sent to check out the "renal mass" reported on the ultrasound "1.5 cm" on the ultasound report - i had the ct scan to investigate, and the report was NO renal mass. Supposedly the ct scan is definitive over ultrasound .. the ct scan just reports arthritis in lower back and hips, as well as diverticulosis in colon ...

maybe i urinate nore than before , otherwise nothing i can think of

i had been diagnosed before with fatty liver -- can this cause the my nausea sypmtoms? I guess liver and gallbladder closely related.

I am about 50 lbs. heavier than 20 years ago, and most of the fat is in my abdominal area.

I am getting a lot of white or clear mucus in the morning and right after eating -- i am blowing my nose constantly and feel choked by this -- what is causing this?

thanks for your follow up
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 33 minutes later

Good to hear from you again.

First, the CT scan is definitely more accurate than ultrasound. If there was any such mass, it would have showed up. Also any gall bladder issues like stones etc., would have shown up. Only any stomach problems internally may not have been detected. Fatty liver can cause similar symptoms.

Yes,the Gall bladder and Liver are closely related. The reason I am stressing on the blood tests is that any liver dysfunction will be documented and even if there is no gross pathology detected in the CT, some biochemical abnormality may show up. If we leave the Liver and gall bladder, only the stomach or GI system is left. If this continues, then endoscopy will be the next step.

If you have mucus discharge from the throat/cough then its probably not related to the GI systems. Nebulisation /steam inhalation should help until your chest has been examined.

Hope this answers your query.