Mucus protection, morning sneezing and running nose. Lungs, CT scan and ENT normal. Had sputum culture test. What does it indicate?

I have suffer from huge mucus protection(whole day) and morning sneezing & running nose last 1year.lungs X-ray,CT-Scan normal and ENT x-ray normal.
So doctor asked to take sputum culture test and test results are below please let me know I have any infection from result.

Specimen Type : SPUTUM AEROBIC
Direct Smear : Few pus cells.Many epithelial cells
Grams Stain : Many Grampositive cocci in pairs &scattered
Isolation 1 : No pathogens isolated
Posted Wed, 22 May 2013 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 1 hour later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- and am glad to address to your query here.

The sample has very few pus cells and no organism is isolated.

There is no infection. The cocci may be normal oral bacteria. The sample could be improperly collected, saliva-contaminated.

If Xrays are normal, you could be having an allergic type of disease. It would not give sputum culture positivity.
As you have running nose, sneezing and sputum, it is likely an allergic airways disease or rhinitis/ bronchitis etc.

I would advise a hemogram with eosinophil count, ENT review and a trial of anti-allergic medications.

I hope to have answered your query satisfactorily. I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at
Good Luck!

As it helps us to improve continuously, may I request you to write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!
Follow-up: Mucus protection, morning sneezing and running nose. Lungs, CT scan and ENT normal. Had sputum culture test. What does it indicate? 26 minutes later
Hi Doctor,
After done my blood test and Doctor told like the below results are seems high but which is not big issue.

Eosinophil is : 10 (Ref 1-6)
Thyroid Profile:SERUM TSH : 5.94 uU/ml (ref 0.50 to 4.20)

Due to this problem I have running nose(Some times and morning), sneezing(Some times and morning), and sputum(Whole day).Is this any big problem or normal issues?

Also mucus is very thick and little bit sour taste.

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 16 minutes later
So, my guess was correct.

With an elevated eosinophil count, it is an allergic condition and is not a big problem.

Mild elevation of TSH needs repeat checking after 2 months.

You will need anti-allergic medication like fexofenadine, mast cell-stabilizers (to suppress allergy) and monitoring for any allergic asthma like illness.
Please be guided by an ENT expert to look at any allergic complications in the ENT areas.
try to find out and avoid precipitating events/ things (the allergens).