Mistakenly taken Panadene fort not realizing it was codiene. Suggest?

Dec 2014

I have mistakenly taken panadene fort not realising it was codeine and I am allergic to codeine what should I do?

Posted Mon, 14 Oct 2013 in Medicines and Side Effects
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to XXXXXXX

Panadene consists of paracetamol and codeine sulphate. You are allergic to codeine.

The tablet consists of 30 mg codeine and this is not very high dose. Still if you have allergy to codeine then you should watch for any symptoms if appear.

Symptoms like mild rash, itching, lacrimation etc are commonly seen in mild allergy.

Symptoms commonly seen in moderate to severe allergy are respiratory depression, bronchospasm, dyspnoea, hypotension, black outs etc. But such type of allergy is not commonly seen and is rare.

I would advise you to take mild antihistaminic drugs like Chlorpheniramine or Cetrizine with consultation of your doctor. These drugs will suppress the symptoms of allergy.

If no improvement occur then there is need to take emergency medicines like adrenaline. But as you are writing the question and time has passed so the severe allergic reaction has already ruled out. Dont take tension you will not face severe withdrawal.

Thanks, hope this helps you, if you have more questions you can ask again.