Menopause. On buproprin, hydrochlorathizide and metropolel for BP and vitamin D. Have hot flashes. Can I take prozac?

I have been on buproprin xl 150 mg. for 2 months now. I am taking hydrochlorathizide 50 mg. and metropolel 20 mg for high blood pressure and vitamin D. I am 57 year old female and already had hot flashes in the past and am post menopause. I wanted to know if I can take prozac 20 mg. with the buproprin.
Posted Wed, 24 Jul 2013 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Omer 2 hours later

I am Dr.Omer and I am here to help you with your query

Following are the interactions between your medicines

Serious - Use Alternative
fluoxetine + metoprolol
fluoxetine will increase the level or effect of metoprolol ( low heart rate )- Use Alternative.

fluoxetine + bupropion
fluoxetine increases toxcity of bupropion by unspecified interaction mechanism. Serious - Use Alternative. May lower seizure threshold; keep bupropion dose as low as possible.

Significant - Monitor Closely
bupropion + fluoxetine
bupropion will increase the level or effect of fluoxetine ( can cause serotinin syndrome). Significant - Monitor Closely.

I would recommend that you shouls go to your doctor and discuss all this so that he can change your medicines , so you have less interactions

The best drug for hot flushes are venlafaxine + vitamin E

Hope this helps

Take care , your feedback is important for Us