Lump near hip bone, cough, vomiting, tender stomach. Treatment ?

Question
hi doctor i dont know if this is all related but i found a lump near my hip bone and my pelvic bone in middle of that i went to see about that and doctor felt and said its faeces gathered and gave me some movicol i took this for few days but developed really really bad cough so stoped takin it and took cough medicine and cough eventually went away i never resumed taking the movicol incase i develop the cough again i still have the lump and is quite hard and big and sore and find that wen i lie on my back at night my stomach feels really tender and throbs hard to describe but last week i was vomiting very forcely every half hour from 1am to 2pm the following day my body ached and went of food then on fri there i fainted in work and then had another spell towards the end of the day i phoned my doctor expecting to get my blood taken but instead asks if im preg and def not on the coil and took a test to make sure but just said rest and keep an eye on it no one can rest wen they are lookin after a 10month thanks
Posted Mon, 16 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 40 minutes later

It will be very helpful for me in understanding your condition better if you could answer some of these questions:

1)     Is the lump soft to touch or hard in consistency?
2)     Is the lump accompanied by any thickenings in areas of pressure?
3)     Is the lump mobile to touch?
4)     Is the lump present in the butt crack or close to the anus?
5)     Are you having a history of constipation or do you have soft stools?
6)     Are you having any fatigue and tiredness as well?
7)     When was you last menstrual period and did you get a serum HCG tets done?
8)     Are you having any blood in stools?

Please get back with the answers to these questions so that it can help me in chalking out a list of differentials.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Lump near hip bone, cough, vomiting, tender stomach. Treatment ? 1 hour later
1) Is the lump soft to touch or hard in consistency? yes hard
2) Is the lump accompanied by any thickenings in areas of pressure?no
3) Is the lump mobile to touch?no stays in place
4) Is the lump present in the butt crack or close to the anus?no
5) Are you having a history of constipation or do you have soft stools? no constipation an yes tools can b soft
6) Are you having any fatigue and tiredness as well? yes
7) When was you last menstrual period and did you get a serum HCG tets done?having coil in makes my menstrual period irregualr but had it few weeks ago and dont no what a serum hcg test is but didnt get any tests done
8) Are you having any blood in stools?no blood
hope this helps
thanks
Follow-up: Lump near hip bone, cough, vomiting, tender stomach. Treatment ? 7 hours later
hi i was wondering why you havent got back to me with regards to this or are you still looking into let me know sure thanks XXXXXXX

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 10 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

My sincere apologies for the delay. As you've mentioned that the lump is hard in consistency, possibly it is arising from the bone.

It makes sense to do further tests like a CT scan of the abdomen and pelvis to know the exact nature of the lump.

A biopsy (in which a small tissue of the lump is taken) may also be required for confirmation of the diagnosis.

I suggest you to go ahead with these tests to determine the cause.

Please do consult a general surgeon for the same. I sincerely hope this helps.

Follow-up: Lump near hip bone, cough, vomiting, tender stomach. Treatment ? 4 hours later
i thought they would of done that but they seem wat very relaxed about it an not bothered how do i urge this shall i just request that they do a test do u think it is serious thanks

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 20 hours later

Thanks for writing back again.

It is not a sort of an emergency but definitiely it needs to be looked into as early as possible.

You need to consult a general surgeon/ orthopedic surgeon and discuss these investigations with him. He will examine the lump and get these investigations done.