Low back pain, fatigue, frequent urination and tenderness in pelvis area. Transvaginal ultrasound showed nothing, blood test showed low estrogen and B12. Reason?

Question
Hi I am 54 and have extreme low back pain, fatigue, frequent urination and tenderness in pelvis area -around ovaries. Transvaginal ultrasound showed nothing, blood tests show nothing except low B12 and low estrogen. Everything else is normal. I had a baterial infection but the doctor gave me a two day intense dose of antibiotics. I once was (4 years ago) diagnosed with Lyme disease and treated. I have terrible health insurance and they turned down a Cat scan request the doctor told me just to go to the ER for further testing but I do not have the will or the energy to visit a NYC ER. I am alone and getting worried. Have had this for a weak. Not getting better
Posted Sat, 18 May 2013 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 2 hours later
Dear friend, welcome to Healthcaremagic!
I am Dr. Prasad Akole (Critical Care Expert- http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole) and am glad to address to your query here.

Your description raises the possibility of an UTI (ultrasound has ruled out a gross pelvic pathology/ tumour etc.
Do you have any fever, nausea, vomiting?
When was the antibiotic given? Which infection?
What was the antibiotic?

I think it needs to be confirmed on urine routine examination.
I hope your physical examination was done and was normal.

UTI can be treated at home, but you will need a prescription, I suppose.

These could possibly be menopausal symptoms also. Low B12 and low estrogen can cause all these except frequent urination (which is often likely due to UTI).
Are you on hormone and B12 replacements?

I would be glad to answer any further queries. Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at http://bit.ly/Dr-Prasad-Akole
Good Luck!

Follow-up: Low back pain, fatigue, frequent urination and tenderness in pelvis area. Transvaginal ultrasound showed nothing, blood test showed low estrogen and B12. Reason? 8 hours later
It was a bacterial infection- fast acting two day medication
Urine was normal.
Pain in lower pelvis and back - getting weaker

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 3 hours later
I did not get all the answers needed.
Anyway, as urine was normal I assume it was not UTI.

I feel there is no alternative to being physically examined by doctors, as there is no structural problem apparent on ultrasound.
My earlier advice should be followed. Vitamin D levels should be checked and gynaec. consultation is needed for ruling out any cancer recurrence.

Please do not avoid medical attention.

It helps us to improve continuously if you could please write a rating review before you ‘accept’ and ‘close’ the query.
Thank you!!

Follow-up: Low back pain, fatigue, frequent urination and tenderness in pelvis area. Transvaginal ultrasound showed nothing, blood test showed low estrogen and B12. Reason? 15 minutes later
Vitamin D was also low - vitamin D , B12 and estrogen were all very low
Everything else was normal and I have been examined - no cancer was I dictated in Pap smear - is low Vitamin D a big problem?

Answered by Dr. Prasad Akole 48 minutes later

If you had mentioned all this in the first instance, things would have been easier for me.
Yes, Vitamin D and B12 deficiency is so common and very levels can be associated with severe symptoms, bone pains, mental deterioration, osteoporosis etc.
You have not still mentioned if you are on supplements for these deficiencies.
If not, please start ASAP under doctor’s prescription.
I am sure you will improve well after adequate treatment. Ask if you need HRT (good health !!