Loose stool in child. What is the dosage of pediatric Walamycin Suspension?

My Child who is 7 years old and 23kg has very loose stools like water. No other symptoms no fever.
What is the dosage of Walamycin Suspension (for Paediatric use) to give her as the pharmacist has recommended this suspension and I have bought a 30 ml bottle where each 5ml contains 12.5mg of Colistin Sulphate.
I have no details of the dosage or days to follow through with.
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 54 minutes later

We do not usually prescribe doses of prescription drugs in this forum to prevent misuse. Further, dosage of drugs in children is highly variable and needs to be tailored individually. I would suggest that you XXXXXXX your local paediatrician for the same so that he can completely evaluate the child and prescribe appropriate therapy.
Above all, adequate hydration is a must in diarrhoea, even before start of any medicine or doctor consultation. Dissolve 1 packet of ORS (oral rehydration solution) in 1 litre of water and give it to baby as much as possible.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.
Follow-up: Loose stool in child. What is the dosage of pediatric Walamycin Suspension? 1 hour later
What I would like to know is the dosage of Walamycin for a 22kg 7 year old child an for how many days. Being a holiday there is no physician in the area and the pharmacist has reoccomended 5 ml twice a day. From a physician I would like to know if that is a appropriate dosage based on my facts above and in my earlier question as if I can't get an answer I will continue giving the child 5 ml twice a day for 3 days.
Just need you advice if this dose is correct.
Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later
Hello again,

Although we do not advice but considering your situation I am giving information related to Walamycin dose. Colistin dose is used that is equal to 1 and 1.5 mg for every 2.2 pounds (1 kilogram) of body weight every eight hours.

We do not promote prescribing medicine here as examination of child is necessary in such cases. Here we guide the treatment and I shall not be responsible for your decision making. You should visit paediatrician for final management as soon as possible.

Above all, I am repeating again give ORS as much as possible, give curd and banana too. If it is just Viral GE all he requires is supportive therapy. I do not think Colistin is required.