Liver USG shows hepatic cysts, mild high level echotexture. Need guidance

General Surgeon
Please advice on the USG report of my mother's liver:--- "Liver is normal in size with homogenous mild high level echotexture. Multiple hepatic cysts of varying sizes are seen in Liver, largest measuring approx. 27 X 20 mm in the right lobe of the liver. No focal solid mass lesion is seen. Intrahepatic biliary radicles are not dilated. Intrahepatic venous systems are normal. PV is normal"
Posted Thu, 11 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Grzegorz Stanko 28 minutes later

Thank you for the query.

Hepatic cysts are very common finding in the ultrasound. Cyst is nothing more than an empty space filled with fluid. As all your mothers cysts are small, observation is all that should be done.
No focal solid mass lesion means simply no tumors has been found. Biliary ducts are also fine and no dilated.
So except the cysts everything is fine.

I suggest you to have abdominal ultrasound performed once a year.

Blood work, liver tests and cholesterol levels are also in the referral ranges. The only thing I have noticed is slightly decreased hemoglobin level. It can be your mothers regular result, however as she is older than 55, large intestine diseases should be ruled out.
If she does NOT have any constipation, weight lost, abdominal pains, blood in stool, iFOBT (fecal occult blood test) should be performed.
If any of this symptoms is present, colonoscopy should be done.

Hope this will help. Feel free to ask further questions.