Lip twitching, headache, slight pain.

Male. 39 years old. 6'1", 180-185 lbs.

Last summer (2011), after relocating, began experiencing twitching in lower lip, on the left side. Twitches felt substantial, but could not be detected visually (externally). Twitch then accompanied by a localized headache, also on left side, which I would say was in-between the left temple and left ear. Pain was never very sharp.

Lasted no more than 2 months, very sporadic - then nothing for approximately 3 months.

Less than 2 weeks ago, the headache returned. Pain not very sharp, more of a dull ache, maybe even slight pressure. Along with it, the twitch sensation has returned, again to the same area of the left lip - but much less powerful. Headache now seems more of an issue. Pain varies from outer edge of left eye socket back to initial area between left temple and left ear.

Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Shiva Kumar R 1 hour later

Regarding the headache and twitching on the left side, possibilities could be a benign atypical facial pain syndrome. However various syndromes can present with similar symptoms and needs to be excluded.

Careful history and physical examination, including a dental consultation, laboratory studies, and imaging studies, may be necessary to rule out occult pathology. Underlying pathology such as malignancy, vasculitis, infection, and central or peripheral demyelination may manifest early as neuralgia, and not until focal neurologic deficits, imaging abnormalities, or laboratory abnormalities are discovered does the diagnosis become evident.

Though features favor possibility of atypical neuropathic medications, I personally advice you to XXXXXXX your Neurologist for a detailed physical evaluation and laboratory investigations.

I thank you again for submitting your question. I hope you find my response to be both helpful and adequate. If you have any additional concerns regarding your question I would be happy to address them.

Wish you good health.

Dr Shiva Kumar R
Neurologist & Epileptologist