Left chest discomfort

hi. I have had slight discomfort now for 3-4 weeks in the upper left hand side of my chest, just inside my shoulder area...
Other related info:

About 4 weeks ago I was chopping wood in the garden and spent 2-3 hours quite strenuously engaged in that, so I wonder if I may have torn or ruptured something while chopping furiously with my axe:).

I went for a 6 mile mountain cycle yesterday and felt fine both during and after my cycle.

I don't have what I would describe as pain. Only mild discomfort. I used to be a smoker (quit for 1 year now) so anything chest/lung related gets me worried. I have mild discomfort in my arm joint/shoulder area also, but became worried most when on placing my hand on my chest and breathing hard could feel a gurgling in my upper left lung area just below my clavicle.
Just more info here which in my limited knowledge of things biological, I guess may be of help:

When I breath hard 6-7 times I get very lightheaded, almost immediately after I stop.
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Sapan J. Pandya 3 hours later

By the end of this session, I hope that I have solved your queries.

You may have simple sprain in the Chest Muscles due to the heavy exercise you performed The chest muscles take part in XXXXXXX respiration,so while breathing deeply there is always stretching of muscles leading to pain.
The reasons why it cannot be related with heart is that you are exercising much (6 mile mountain bicycling) without any increase in your chest pain.

But to be on the safer side you may get a resting ECG done. Also X-ray Chest (Anterior / Lateral view) to rule out cardiac and chest wall defects.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.