Lab work showing ALT level below normal. Should I be worried?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
yes you may. I am 47 year old year old female with no medical hx. Recently lab work revealed ALT < 3 and I requested it to be repeated in which revealed again result of < 3. The dr wants me to follow up with a GI consult. I am a registered nurse and I am trying to find information on this subject. Unfortunately, there is alot on high ALT levels but nothing of below normal. Thank you
Posted Sat, 30 Nov 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 52 minutes later
Brief Answer: Not suggestive of any pathology. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for posting your query. Below normal levels of ALT are not suggestive of any pathology. The levels can be physiologically low in some individuals. Any kind of a liver damage leads to a rise in these levels which needs a further evaluation. In case your other liver function tests are normal, there is no need to worry. I hope this answers your query. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out. Wishing you good health. Regards. Dr. Praveen Tayal.