LFT test result. Hep B carrier. on lamivudine treatment. Indication of liver damage ?

Dear Doctor,

Would appreciate if you can comment on my latest LFT result. Does it indicate liver damage or something else?

Protein, Total : 73
Albumin: 46
Globulin: 27
Bilirubin , Total : 3 (it is indicated low, as I normally get 7-10)
Alkaline Phosphatase, Total: 67
Alanine Aminotransferase : 114 (high)
Aspartate Aminotransferase : 207 (high)
Gamma-glutamyltransferase : 28

I am Hep B carrier under lamivudine treatment. I am also recently start weight lifting training, and remember I have sore muscle during the test.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 13 hours later

From the liver function test which showed elevations of AST and ALT and that you are on lamivudine , I presume that you had chronic hepatitis b.

The interpretation of this report will require previous data regarding your liver function tests, hbv dna titer, HBeAg and ultrasound report.

I eagerly await this data to answer your question satisfactorily.
Follow-up: LFT test result. Hep B carrier. on lamivudine treatment. Indication of liver damage ? 2 days later
My previous LFT is all normal. I actually happened to test ALT four days ago before the above report. It was 42. (But I did not test AST). I tested every four months and I normally has ALT <40.

My last DNA report was one year ago, with undectable.

My HBeAg is -ve (the same time with the above report). Ultrasound report is mainly normal. But I have fatty liver, but I always have fatty liver.

Moreover, I felt great and do not any symptom yet. I really do a lot of exercise try to stay fit. Went to gym 2-3 times per week. However, also have ate more and actually surprise to find that I gain weight and fat ratio in my body.

Hope this provide your more information. Thanks for your answer, doctor.
Answered by Dr. Vaibhav Banait 4 hours later

Thanks for the reply.

I understand that you were Hepatitis B carrier as your LFT and HBeAg were negative. Normally carriers are not treated, but your doctor must be having sound reason to put you on Lamivudin.

The recent abnormal LFT may indicate,

1. You are developing Mutation analysis may clear this thing.
3. You are developing Non Alcoholic Steatohepatitis (NASH)

You may require mutation analysis/ Lamivudin resistance testing and liver biopsy to clear the issue. I would suggest you to see your treating gastroenterologist to discuss these things.

Hope, I have answered your query.

Wish you good health.