Joint pain while going to bed at night and while waking in morning. Pain below shoulders when sneezing.

Orthopaedic Surgeon
While going to bed at Night and while getting up in the morning, I usually feel the pain on all my joints (Legs as well as hands). I initially thought the pain was in the knees(when it comes to Legs) but later realized that its from behind the knees. Also, sometimes when I sneeze, I can feel the pain below my shoulders.
Posted Fri, 4 May 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 3 hours later

Pain in all the joints specially in the knees at your age can be due to many reasons.

Such joint pains can be due to autoimmune diseases like Rheumatoid Arthritis, Gout, Inflammatory diseases like SLE, Bursitis, Fibromyalgia and Chondomalacia Patellae (degeneration of the cartilage beneath the kneecap).

To pinpoint the diagnosis, complete physical examination and investigations like complete blood counts, ESR (Erythrocyte Sedimentation Rate), RA (Rheumatoid Arthritis) factor, CRP (C-Reactive protein), serum uric acid, serum creatinine, X-ray and MRI joints from a Rheumatologist are needed.

The medications you are taking at present seems to be right and has to be continued for long term with proper follow up.

Following these measures might help you:
1. Follow regular exercises like feet exercises, walking, Stretching exercises.
2. Hot fomentation with application of local analgesic gel might help during episodes of severe pain.
3. You can also see a physiotherapist for particular joint exercises.

I hope this answers your query effectively. In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.