Jaundice, bilirubin count 1. Recommended diet?

Question
I have been suffering from jaundice for past two months now.My bilirubin count is 1 now.I am still on boiled food and not yet started eating turmeric. When can i start eating non-Veg?? and turmeric? Also can i eat sea food in another months time? If i have to eat out can i eat grilled vegetables? When can i start eating non-veg. its close to two and a half months that ive been observing a boiled food no oil diet.Please suggest
Posted Sat, 28 Apr 2012 in General Health

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 1 hour later
Hello XXXXXXX

It is good that your bilirubin count is 1 but whether you can have non veg and se food does not depend on the bilirubin levels.

It depends on the amount of liver enzymes like SGOT, SGPT and your INR (international normalized ratio). Have you got these tests done recently?

The levels of SGOT and SGPT are used to detect inflammation due to injury or damage to the liver from any source. INR measures blood's ability for normal clotting and prevention of bleeding and bruising. The levels of SGOT and SGPT will indicate whether you can have oily foods, non veg or sea food.

Hope this answers your query.

Please do get back with these reports so that I can help you in a better way.

Follow-up: Jaundice, bilirubin count 1. Recommended diet? 51 minutes later
My SGPT and SGOT counts are at normal levels now.both the levels are in normal range. I am avoiding oily food as much as i can< but incase if i have to eat out someday cause of my work < can i eat grilled vegetables?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 15 hours later
Hello XXXXXXX

Thanks for writing back.

If both SGOT and SGPT are in the normal range then you can start with grilled vegetables. Gradually you can start with sea food and non veg but avoid oily, fried stuff and spicy foods.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.