Is there any scientific reason for stomach pain during menstruation?

During the periods time usually i get stomach pain for the first 2 days, just wanted to know if there is any scientific reason behind this and what is the solution apart from home remedies or taking a tablet. I am suffering since 18 years and every month its like very difficult to involve myself in any activities.
Posted Sat, 28 Dec 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Prasad 18 hours later
Brief Answer: Chemical release.... Detailed Answer: Hi, In simple words, the pain that you feel is due to chemical (prostaglandins) released from the shedding uterine wall. The amount of prostaglandins released is directly proportional to amount of bleeding. Therefore it hurts more if you are on who bleeds more. Normally this pain reduces in a day or two as the amount of bleeding declines. Average women have normal amount of pain with menstruation. If this pain is severe and lasting for more than 2-3 days, you should suspect pre-existing uterine condition such as fibroid/endometrosis. Hope this answers your question. Let me know if you need any other information. Regards