Is the redness and itching on my lower back due to the skin grafts i had there?

as best I remember: About a year ago, I received full-thickness skin grafts on the lower part of my back due to third degree burns. The grafts took. The last month or so, these areas developed a redness and started itching incessantly and I have not had any relief. My burn doctor and my GP prescribed Mupirocin 2%, Cortizone 10, Atarax 25mg, Benadryl, all with no effect. Can you help, pleasse???
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 44 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query,

The major concern here of course is that for some reason your body is mounting an inflammatory or allergic response to the grafts. This is something you do not want to wait on to have evaluated. Sometimes systemic corticosteroids or antibiotics need to be taken to calm down such a response.

The meds you have now would treat a minor allergic reaction and perhaps a minor superficial skin infection but beyond that the Atarax and Benadryl are more to relieve the itching. I think you should work on seeing a dermatologist as soon as possible as you need someone with specialized expertise to address this concern.

I thank you again for the query and hope you find this reply to be helpful and informative. If you have any additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga