Is missing periods after taking Nortrel normal ?

Hi, I just started taking Nortrel and I missed my period the first month that I took it (not sexually active so it is not a pregnancy). Is this normal?
Posted Tue, 17 Apr 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 minutes later

Nortrel contains norethindrone and ethinyl estradiol and is a form of combined oral contraceptive.

Since you are not sexually active, it rules out pregnancy. Missing of periods after starting with Nortrel is due to a side effect of this drug which may occur within the first three month of starting this drug.

You should take complete 21 active tablets and then take no tablets for 7 days. Then start with the second pack of Nortrel without missing any tablet in between. If the second consecutive month you miss your period then you may need to change this form of contraceptive after consulting your gynecologist.

Amenorrhea due to hormonal changes can occur with these contraceptives and it should get fine in first 3 months of use.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.