Is it safe to take viagara with metoprolol?

Cardiologist
Question
i take metoprolol tart-25mg-3 pills per day for high bp.is it okay to take viagara with this medication?
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 2 hours later
Brief Answer: Yes, you can take viagra but with care. Detailed Answer: Hi! I read your query and would like to say: Yes, you can take viagra together with metoprolol. However, you should take viagra with care. Because viagra increase the antihypertensive effect of metoprolol, hypothension (dizziness faint etc) may happen. To avoid this avoid early standing up after sex, wait some time and stand up slowly (not abruptly). I hope I answered your query. Dr. Benard

Follow-up: Is it safe to take viagara with metoprolol? 19 hours later
what mg.of viagara is recomended to start with?

Answered by Dr. Benard Shehu 7 hours later
Brief Answer: The best way is to start with the minimal dose... Detailed Answer: Hi again! The recommended starting dose of Viagra (without any other pill) is 50 mg one hour before sexual activity. To avoid the adverse effect of the combination of Viagra and metoprolol, I recommend that you should start with the minimal dose of viagra (25 mg). Than if no adverse effects are observed the doses may be increased, if needed, to 50 mg and than to 100 mg (to take the desired effect). However i strongly recommend that you should talk with your cardiologist before increasing the doses of viagra. I hope I answered your query. Dr. Benard