Is it safe for a child to get two flu shots together?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
My 3-year old daughter received the flu shot last year for the first time when she was 2-years-old. She was only given one even though it was the first time. It has come to my attention that she should have received two and she did end up with the flu. So this year her pediatrician wants to give her two. I understand the logic of giving her two, but I am hesitant. Although at the same time I do not want her to get the flu again. My 1-year old is getting two as this is the first time she is receiving it. Just looking for an opinion. Thank you
Posted Tue, 26 Nov 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Roopa Hiremath 56 minutes later
Brief Answer: Vaccine for Influenza Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for choosing health care magic. I have gone through your query I understand your concern. Flu vaccines are prescribed usually during the peak flu season starting from October and can be given up to May. The CDC (Center for Disease Control) recommends a yearly flu vaccine for all children above 6 months or older. Two doses are given if the child is younger than 9 years and if has not received flu vaccine before. These two doses have to be given 4 weeks apart. It is better to give the vaccine as early as possible in the peak season because it takes at least two weeks for the vaccine to provide protection against flu. Your daughter's pediatrician is right in prescribing two doses for her this year as she had incomplete vaccination last year. (recommended as per CDC guidelines) Single dose is usually given for children above 9 years. I hope I have answered your query satisfactorily. Please get back if I can assist you further. Thanks.