Is it possible for a tablet to enter into lungs?

Infectious Diseases Specialist
I think I accidently swallowed 2 ibuprofen down into my lungs, but need clarity if I did or not. I took 2 advils with water, and started coughing a little bit. Soon after the coughing subsided, I started to wonder/worry if I swallowed the meds into my lungs... but my breathing is relatively normal but I have a little chest pain(like a slight burning) and now feeling like sweats. Is it possible that they entered my lungs? What can I do if I swallowed them into my lungs, is there anything I can do IF that happened? Or is it anxiety hitting me like a truck??
Posted Mon, 16 Dec 2013 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Fatbardha Sejdini 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Impossible for advil to go to lungs,anxiety... Detailed Answer: Hi, Sweating you are feeling might be related to 2 advils. Chest pain is due to the anxiety of thinking over swallowing advils in your lungs. Please relax. If advils would enter lungs, you'd be coughing badly and having more severer chest pain and difficulty breathing. Furthermore, advils are too "big" to enter pulmonary tree. You are not reporting any of these symptoms, thus, most probably you are having a "anxiety attack" unnecessarily. You can do chest X-ray to be at peace and consult your physician if symptoms aggravate. All the best! Feel free to ask me other questions if you have any at the next follow up. Dr.Bardha