Is it okay for me to take Norethisterone for twenty two nights to delay my period? Have irregular periods

May 2013
I was prescribed Northethisterone to delay my period, as I go on holiday next Monday (27th) for 22 nights. The doctor just told me to read the leaflet, and take the pills accordingly (5mg 3 times a day).

As my period has never been regular, she suggested taking it the weekend before I go. However, I've taken one 5mg tablet today, thinking I could use the pills for an unlimited amount of time (as knowing my luck, my period would come just before wego), but on the internet it states that you shouldn't use it more than two weeks.

As I've taken one pill today, will it be ok to stop taking it until Friday or Saturday, before I fly on Monday?

Is it ok for me to take it for 22 nights?

Posted Mon, 10 Sep 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later

usually it is said that norethisterone should not be taken for more than 2 weeks to delay the periods as it can cause side effects,
so if you want to decrease the number of days of taking tablet,
better you start 4 days before your tour and stop 3 days before finishing of holiday, as after stopping pill it will take around 5 days for onset of withdrawal bleeding your tour will over by that time.
as you took only one tablet that may not have any affect on menstrual cycle, sometimes you may get spotting that will subside soon, if not you start taking three tablets a day from that time.
extra one or two days may not make much difference.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.