Is it normal to have spotting in the first two days of periods and normal bleeding only from 3rd day ?

Hi my age is 26. From past three months i could see spotting in my first two days of my menstural period and the actual bleeding starting from 3rd day on wards.

Why is it happening in this way?
Posted Sat, 21 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Sudarshan 16 minutes later
Hi Madhvi,

Sometimes this spotting 1-2 days before periods is harmless, but sometimes it’s an alarming sign of serious problem.
This depends on the cause of spotting.
It may be due to old, dry blood that came from cervix most probably due to sexual intercourse and irritation of the cervix causing a little tear.
It can also be an indication of implantation bleeding which occurs if you had any unprotected intercourse close to your fertile days ( 14th day of your menstrual cycle).
Implantation bleeding is a type of spotting which occurs when the fertilized ovum implants in the lining of the uterus and this may occur after 10 days of your ovulation days.
The more the spotting occurs close to the date of periods, the less the chances of it being implantation bleeding.

In absence of pregnancy, this spotting can be due to
birth control pills, infection in an area of the body related to menstruation (including the vagina, the cervix and the uterus),
polycystic ovarian syndrome, diseases of pituitary gland,
hormonal imbalance of estrogen and progesterone and uterine abnormalities like fibroid and cervical dysplasia or sexually transmitted diseases like gonorrhea and Chlamydia .

You should consult a gynecologist who will physically examine the local area and may consider tests like serum test for pregnancy, pap smear, ultrasound uterus and hormonal assay.

Hope this information helps you.

Do u have normal cycles?
Are you sexually active?
Do you have any other symptoms?
Are you using any contraceptive measures?
Are you on any other drugs?

If you have additional questions regarding these recommendations, you should not hesitate to contact me again.