Is it normal to have pain during bowel movement 7 weeks post delivery ?

I recently had my baby about 7 weeks ago. I had regualr bowel movement until a week and a half ago. Now I get pain during bowel movemnt. It feels as if there is a tear or a tissue is stretched as the bowel movement occurs. Please advise what could have caused this and how can i get relief.
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in IBS(Irritable Bowel Syndrome)
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 hour later
After delivery due to the stitches of the episiotomy wound there is some fibrosis and stretching of the perineal skin. If there is any constipation, due to the pressure on the perineum, a tearing sensation may be felt.
Another cause may be anal fissure: An anal fissure is a small tear in the skin at the opening of the rectum. It is caused when a large, hard stool is passed and excessively stretches the rectum. This problem can also occur in people whose anal sphincter tone (the muscle that controls the anal opening) is too tight and cannot relax to pass the stool.
An examination by a surgeon will confirm the diagnosis and accordingly the treatment can be prescribed.
Meanwhile drink plenty of water and avoid constipation.
I hope my answer and recommendations are adequate and helpful. Waiting for your further follow up queries if any.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have pain during bowel movement 7 weeks post delivery ? 3 hours later
Dear Doc,

Thank you for the expert advice. Can you make some additional recommendations for treating an anal fissure ?
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 43 minutes later
Thanks for writing again.

Warm sitz baths will be helpful.

A sitz bath is a type of bath in which only the hips and buttocks are soaked in water or saline solution.

You will need hemostatic agents to stop the bleeding- get them prescribed by your surgeon.

Local application of hydrocortisone zinc acetate and lignocaine ointment will be helpful.

Hope my answer is helpful.

Wishing you a trouble free speedy recovery.