Is it normal to have dip in the skull of a nine month baby?

Pediatrician, Neonatology
Question
My nine month old baby girl has a dip at the top of her head. It looks like a natural bone structure but I wanted some advise just invade I need it looked at or in case it was an abnormality. when she was born the front/top bones if her skull had formed a line because the bones were quit close. But since then it has separated and the fontanel is still open only just. Your advise will be highly appreciated. XXXXXXX
Posted Mon, 5 Nov 2012 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Uma Rajah Ananth 1 hour later
Hi XXXXXXX

The dip in the skull is most likely normal unless the baby had a fall or injury on the head (by hitting against a hard object) earlier - wherein this could be a depressed fracture.

At birth there is something called head moulding due to the baby's head being compressed by the uterus outlet. This improves by 2-3 weeks and the fontanel which is soft dipped structures becomes obvious. 2 fontanels - one on the top of the head and the other (which is smaller) on the back part of head where the child's head rests when sleeping are located normally. Occasionally there can be extra small fontanel anywhere along the suture line running on the top of the head. Perhaps the dip may be one such fontanel too.

In brief, if there was history of fall or injury wherein there is a possibility of depressed fracture, what you saw on the child's head is not seriously concerning. X-ray of the skull is entailed to rule out fractures though. You may consult her pediatrician for examination and X-rays if you are in doubts.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have other enquiries.

Good luck!!!

Dr Uma