Is it normal to have a tingly sensation in a bruise due to an accident ?

Question
Early part of May 2011 I accidentally ran into the metal bar on my bed frame. I got a pretty good bruise just to the right of the XXXXXXX bone. It took awhile for the bruise to go away but I am now left with a red XXXXXXX the same size as what the bruise was. It only slightly hurts (when touched). Today that spot feels kind of tingly. I'm 40 and in good health, have never had any issues with bruising before. Any suggestions?
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Bones, Muscles and Joints

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 32 minutes later

The presence of redness still on the site of injury indicates a hematoma formation. Hematoma is a collection of blood caused by internal bleeding and usually resolves with time but sometimes may become persistent.

The tingly sensation that you are having is due to trauma to the superficial nerves causing nerve irritation. No treatment is required for superficial nerve irritation and it will heal with time.

For the hematoma, apply warm compresses on the area and take some over the counter anti-inflammatory pain killer after consulting your doctor.

You can also take some vitamin B12 like Neurobion supplements for the nerve damage after consulting your doctor.

If symptoms do not subside then this hematoma may need to be drained. A physical examination and MRI of the soft tissue in the area can confirm the diagnosis.

Hope this answers your query.

If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Is it normal to have a tingly sensation in a bruise due to an accident ? 35 minutes later
You mention that the hematoma may need to be drained. I just wanted to describe this red XXXXXXX a little more. The area is not swollen, it's flat just like the surrounding skin, it's just that it's red. When I touch it, it doesn't feel as if there's anything there.

Also, any idea on a time frame that this may resolve in or how long I should wait before getting checked out by my family doctor?

Thanks.

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 9 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

Usually the symptoms of hematoma are swelling and tenderness but sometimes only color changes are there which include red, purple, green-yellow, yellow etc before it completely heals.

You should try the conservative method of treatment like warm compresses and NSAID pain killers first. If even after 1 week there is no change in symptoms then get it examined from your family doctor and maybe get a x-ray/ MRI of the area to confirm the diagnosis. If hematoma is found then it may need surgical drainage when conservative treatment has failed.

Hope this answers your query.