Is it normal to get diarrhea and cramps on first day of period?

Is it normal to get Diarrhea on your first day of your period? I have never had this before and I do today. as well as cramps
Posted Fri, 22 Feb 2013 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 29 minutes later

Diarrhea before onset of menstruation is one of the manifestations of premenstrual syndrome.
Premenstrual symptoms are a natural part of the menstrual cycle, affecting most women at some time during their lives.

Chances in bowel habits could be one of the symptoms of premenstrual symptoms with abdominal cramps.

So nothing to worry. It's part of the menstrual cycle. In fact, premenstrual symptoms suggest that your cycles are ovulatory.

Take NSAID's (dehydration due to diarrhea.

Hope I have answered all your queries. You can write to me anytime for further clarifications.

Dr Nilofer
Follow-up: Is it normal to get diarrhea and cramps on first day of period? 19 hours later
Thank you!
How long will it last. Ths is my 2 nd day
Answered by Dr. Nilofer AR 1 hour later

Thanks for your reply.

Diarrhea will last for another day or two.
Keep yourself rehydrated. Avoid dehydration. Contact doctor immediately if you pass mucus in stools with tenesmus. Then you may need to take antibiotics to treat infection.

Hope I have answered your query. Let me know if I can assist you further.

Regards and take care,
Dr Nilofer