Is elevation in liver enzymes the cause for vomiting and diarrhea?

Hi, I am on xarelto 15 mg. I had a five day bout of vomiting and diarrehea. Before I was able to eat and drink normally I had semi annual blood work done. My Liver enzymes ALT are 94 and my AST are 78. Could this be the cause?
Posted Sat, 18 Jan 2014 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 25 minutes later
Brief Answer: gastroenteritis can cause an increase Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic Gastroenteritis is associated with symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhoea. It can be caused by viruses or bacteria. Though these symptoms can be side effects of some medication, they are not associated with xarelto and are more likely due an infectious cause. Elevation of liver enzymes can occur in some persons with gastroenteritis particularly with the viral infections. It would be best to repeat these blood tests after you have been well for a few weeks, if is is solely related to the gastro, they should be declining. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions