Is bleeding after sex normal? Have thyroid problems, taking birth control pill and recently stopped

Is bleeding after intercourse normal?

I did some research online and it states that Chlamydia or Gonorrhea could be why I bled after intercourse. But this is impossible since I have never had any Transmitted Disease and I have been married now for 3 years and my husband does not have a STD.

In the quick research I did it says that it could be a sign of cervical cancer. I've been attending my doctor's office for regular pap smears and the last one I did was in February 2012 and the pap smear came out normal. I have never had an abnormal pap smear.

Another thing I found in my research is that bleeding after intercourse can affect my thyroid which I do have a thyroid issue and currently taking medication for this. Or can it be due to the length of time I was on the birth control pill...I was on the birth control for approximately 15 years and got off the pill in December 2010. In april 2012 my husband and I have started to try to get pregnant. As far as I know Im still not pregnant.

I don't bleed often after intercourse but it has happen a couple times and I don't know if I should be worried or not.

Hopefully you can answer my questions.
Posted Tue, 10 Jul 2012 in Vaginal and Uterus Health
Answered by Dr. Pragnesh Vachharajani 1 hour later

I am very happy that you are an informed patient and have done primary research about the query before posting it. Patients like you make the job of doctor easier.

As you're premenopausal and you have infrequent episodes of vaginal bleeding after sex — and you've had normal results on routine Pap tests — you don't need to see your doctor to be evaluated. I do not see any reason for concern.

In general:
Vaginal bleeding after intercourse is not normal. Sporadic incidence at times can be ignored, but at the same time having bleeding often is not normal.

You are right that what you have excluded in your case are the commonest reasons for vagina bleeding after sex.Apart from this there are many causes which can lead to this, the common ones are:

> Cervicitis-that is inflammation of cervix due to any cause
> Friction during sexual intercourse
>Inadequate lubrication or foreplay
>Vaginal dryness

Still if the vaginal bleeding bothers or worries you, than it is better that you see your doctor and get your self examined for it. Your doctor can definitely after examination can exclude the probable causes and may give treatment as per the cause identified.

Continue with your thyroid medications and keep regular follow up with your doctor for routine check up as advised.

I hope this helps.

Please feel free to write again if you have some more queries, in case you do not have more queries please accept the answer.

Wishing you great health.