Is arthritis related to foot injury?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
I have broken my 3rd, 4th, and 5th metorsal. I had surgery and a plate put into the 3rd and screws in the 5th. The 4th was left to heal on its own. When I look at the xrays 2 weeks after surgery the 4th is out of alignment. Should I be concerned.
Posted Tue, 31 Dec 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Do not worry. Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for your query. I have gone through the x-ray attached. There is slight displacement of 4th metatarsal. Do not worry it is acceptable and will unite perfectly without any intervention. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query. Take care
Follow-up: Is arthritis related to foot injury? 45 minutes later
Thank you for the response. I am following my doctors orders. I am in a cast non weight bearing and keeping it elevated as much as possible. My next appointment is in two weeks for xrays and possible a walking boot if I have good union. I do have swelling when its not elevated and my toes turn purple. My understanding this is normal. Very little pain. My last question is is there a possibility of arthritis in this foot related to my injury. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 10 hours later
Brief Answer: Possibility of arthritis is very remote. Detailed Answer: Hi, I am glad to know that I could address your concern. As the fracture is not intra-articular( no joint involvement), possibility of arthritis is very remote. Do not worry, follow your doctor's advice. Elevate your limb and do active toe movements.