Is Trasadon and Vistril good match for persistent insomnia?

Is Trasadon & Vistril a good match for persistent insomnia? I was on Klonpin and
ativan for this problem. I also have a
TBI that is stable at the moment, but everytime I see another doctor they always prescribe another type of medication which always causes more problems than help? YYYY@YYYY
Posted Wed, 20 Nov 2013 in Sleep Disorders
Answered by Dr. Payman Hajiazim 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Antihistamine are good, however, ...

Detailed Answer:
Hi there, thanks fro asking. Apart from Klonipine and ativan which are from the class of benzodiazepines, some antihistamine could be used for insomnia. Vistril acts on histamine 1 and 3 receptors so it can cause dependency. Doxepine 3 mg and 6 mg are available in the US which is antihistamine only for histamine 3 receptors and it can be a good medication for sleep. Trazodone sometimes is used for sleep promotion, however, you do not need to take it when you take doxepine. Best