Is Microgestin pill a safe brith control option?

Mar 2013
Hello. I have a question about birth control. I decided to start using the pill (Microgestin). I took it on Sunday, during the first 24 hours of my period. I had a very uncomfortable reaction and decided to stop taking the pill the next day (Monday). I went all day Monday and Tuesday without taking the pill. My period ended Wednesday morning. Wednesday evening my boyfriend came over and we had unprotected sex. I am worried about getting pregnant and curious what I should do? Would you suggest doubling up on dosage of the pill or taking Plan B at this point. If I double up, should I take two pills today and two pills tomorrow? Or should I start a new pack altogether? Just want to do whatever I can to prevent the possibility of pregnancy. Thank you so much …
Posted Sat, 1 Mar 2014 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 18 minutes later
Brief Answer: TAKE PLAN B. Detailed Answer: Hello Thanks for writing to us with your health concern. You were not comfortable with the pill, as you mentioned. Take Plan B right now. That is better than doubling the dosage of the Microgestin pill, it is more effective. This month, use protection ( do not take more emergency contraceptives ). From the next month onwards, make up your mind about a reliable, long term birth control, and if you decide to continue Microgestin, start it on the first day of periods. All the best. Please feel free to discuss.
Follow-up: Is Microgestin pill a safe brith control option? 5 minutes later
Ok thank you very much. Am curious, however … are my chances of getting pregnant this early in my cycle high? Even though I just had my period? Does taking one pill create an earlier ovulation cycle if you stop?
Answered by Dr. Aarti Abraham 4 minutes later
Brief Answer: EXPLAINED BELOW Detailed Answer: Hello again. Chances of your getting pregnancy just after your period are very remote, but Plan B will obliterate any remote chances also. Taking one pill will just not affect ovulation, it takes atleast 2 weeks of pill use to do that. Take care.