Is Gall Bladder removal necessary for non functioning gall bladder?

General Surgeon
My brother is suffering from Non functioning of gal bladder,doctors have asked to remove the Gal Bladder. It is advisable to remove the Gal Bladder,what are efffects of removing and not removing the Gal Bladder. Seek you advice on this issue. Regards' XXXXXXX
Posted Sat, 25 Jan 2014 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Kishore Kaltari 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Cholecystectomy advisable in symptomatic cases Detailed Answer: Namasthe Welcome to Healthcare-Magic Greetings of the day Dear XXXX Wishing you a Happy New Year 2014 Gall Bladder removal is necessary in non functioning gall bladder if the individual has symptoms that are possibly due to Gall bladder pathology, presence of Diabetis mellitus. If he has upper gastrointestinal symptoms and if the symptoms are attributable to Ulcer pathology, these symptoms are unlikely to improve following Surgical removal of Gall Bladder. Good patient selection( Surgery done for symptoms documented to be due gall bladder) is the key factor for management of gall bladder pathology. Even if the Gall bladder is non functioning( its only physically present but not carrying out the major role of concentration of bile) and is not causing any symptoms it is better left alone. Gall Bladder removal does not have any major impact on bile, function is taken over by common bile duct to certain extent. Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy is very much safe. I hope it helped In case you need any further assistance, do get back to me. Best regards Dr Deepak K K MBBS,MS,MCH Consultant Surgeon