Had laparoscopic cholecystectomy. Having abdominal pain, mucous in stools. Family history of colon cancer. Suggestions?

I had a laprascopic cholecystectomy 2 months ago. I have had (for years) abdominal pain/cramping (not relieve by a BM) change in bowel habits, what looks like bits of intestines in my stools. Mucus with a bm. Have a fam hx of ulcerative colitis ,crohns and colon cancer. Nothing seems to trigger these symptoms.I can have a bm that will be difficult to pass then almost sandy looking stool 20 minutes later.
Asked On : Sun, 24 Mar 2013

Thank you for the query.

If you have had colon cancer in the family (in two relatives) and one of this persons has been younger than 50 when diagnosed, you may be suffering from HNPCC (hreditary nonpolyposis colorectal cancer). Therefore genetics evaluation and oncologist consult is necessary.

Your symptoms might be caused by colon cancer indeed. I suggest you to visit your doctor, have physical examination and consider colonoscopy.

Hope this will help.