Is BP level of 156/87 a cause for concern?

Excellent

Cardiologist
Question
My bp is 156/87 w hart rate of 124. Am i haveing a heart attach?
Posted Sun, 19 Nov 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
You are not having any heart attack!

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

These blood pressure and heart rate values a a little high, but they do not indicate any increased risk for a heart attack.

A single isolated spike in blood pressure and heart rate value, is not always indicative of uncontrolled high blood pressure.

Do you have any other symptoms like chest pain or shortness of breath?

If you do not have any of the above symptoms, you shouldn't worry about any heart attack. In such case, there is no need to go to the ER.

Anxiety can be the cause of such raise in heart rate and blood pressure values.

I would just recommend having some rest, close your eyes and take some deep breaths for some minutes.

A cup of lemon juice or camomile tea would help too.

It is important to closely monitor your blood pressure values in the next hours and days ( in sitting position after 10 minutes of total relax), frequently during the day and note those values.

If your blood pressure values are above the normal ranges (140/90 mm Hg) most of the time in the next days, I would recommend consulting with your attending physician and performing some tests to investigate for possible causes underlying secondary hypertension:

- a resting ECG and cardiac ultrasound
- chest X ray study
- complete blood count for anemia
- thyroid hormone levels for thyroid dysfunction
- blood electrolytes
- fasting glucose
- blood lipid profile
- kidney and liver function tests.

Hope to have been helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr.Iliri