Irritation and itching in anal area, applied Annovate cream. Advise remedy

i find some difficulty while sitting because of irritation and itching in the area of anus and nearby. As there had been holidays, I consulted a doctor on phone who advised to apply annovate cream on the affected area presuming it to be fissure. I have some relief. But still I am not perfectly alright. I may mention here that there is no problem while standing or walking or sleeping. I have been suffering from this problem for about a month but in the beginning I thought it is due to having some spicy food. I still sometime feel like chilly expression while sitting. Please advise the remedy. Or whom (the medical practitioner) to contact? If any diagonistic tests are also needed, if so the details of these tests can also be sent. I am male of 56 years of age.
Posted Sun, 16 Sep 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later

Thanks for question.

Among many causes, common causes of anal itch are due to spicy food, fungal infection and intestinal worm infestation. Since you have itching since month possibility of food causing it is less likely. Other two possibility are likely causes in your case.

Local anesthetic creams (benzocaine 5% to 20% ) can provide symptomatic relief. If the symptoms persist and there is scaling with rough discolored skin you can consider using antifungal creams(Clotrimazole). A single tablet of albendazole or mebendazole is effective is treating intestinal worms and can prove helpful.

Even hemorrhoids can cause such symptoms but you will need clinical examination to make diagnose. Hemorrhoids are commonly associated with history of constipation and may present with per rectal bleeding. Its less common than above mentioned causes.

In case you want to see a specialist for this, then a proctologist would be ideal doctor to be seen.

Investigations that might be suggested are proctoscopy and stool examination.

I hope I have been helpful to you. Please ask if I have left any of your query unanswered or if there are any doubts

Follow-up: Irritation and itching in anal area, applied Annovate cream. Advise remedy 5 days later
Ref. above. Thank you very much for the prompt and detailed reply to my satisfaction. As a follow up, I opted for routine medical tests (annual diagonistic tests- pathological). Almost all the tests are O.K. but in hemogram, there are certain parameters which according to me are a bit on the higher side such as :

Lymphocyte percentage 41.7
Eosinophils 07.6
Basophils 00.3
Red Cell Distribution Width(RDW CV) 14.8
Platelet distribution width 16.3

I now want to know whether I need some medicines for correcting these eadings or any other corrective measures to be taken. I may mention that I am not taking any medicines. I also did not take any medicine but applying only ointments as precribed by the doctor above.
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 3 hours later
I don't think you need any special treatment for this.

Follow-up: Irritation and itching in anal area, applied Annovate cream. Advise remedy 14 hours later
Thank you so much. May God bless you and carry on doing the good for the Society. May God bless you once again.

with best wishes and regards,

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 52 minutes later
You're welcome.Regards.