Irregular periods with heavy flow, spotting blood in rectal area. Am menopausal. What is the cause?

My periods are very irregular with extremely heavy flow. I am menopause age, 54, but do not have symptoms of menop. I had a heavy period in October 2011, January 2012, and August 2012. The flow is so heavy I cannot leave my house. I also appear to be spotting blood in the rectal area. What is the cause of this? I have been told it is a part of menopause, but it does not seem like what I have read or experiences others have had. What do you think?
Posted Sun, 26 Aug 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Kulsoom Qureshi 2 hours later
Thanks for consulting us.
Irregular & infrequent periods are a recognized symptom of menopause. But the pattern you are quoting with extremely heavy flow surely need investigation.
At least you should have a vaginal ultrasound to see the lining of your womb & to rule out other pelvic pathology. So, a Gynecological consultation is vital.
All this may well represent hormonal imbalance of menopause but pathological causes like abnormal thickening of your womb lining & any genital cancer must be ruled out by doing an ultrasound scan.
Also get your Haemoglobin checked, as this problem may have resulted in Anemia.
I suggest you should also take some iron & multivitamin supplementation.
Spotting from rectum cannot be related to menopause. You should see a General Surgeon preferably the one who operated your polyps & get an opinion. As, this may represent a relapse of the same problem or any other Gut pathology.
Hope I helped you a little, please write back if you want to discuss this further.
Wish you good health.
Best Regards.