Irregular periods after child birth, brown discharge, reduced menstruation, on birth control medication. Is it normal?

I have been having irregular periods since I had my baby daughter almost 1 year ago. I started taking birth control when she was 7 weeks old and since then my periods are coming every 21 days or so with slight bleeding/brown discharge in between. Periods are very light when they come, no need for tampons or sanitary towels, I only use a panty liner. I was just wondering if this is normal? I have no pain internally.
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Menstruation and Miscarriage
Answered by Dr. Robert Galamaga 8 hours later
Hello and thanks for the query.

Your question is a very good one and I will work on providing you with good information and recommendations regarding what is going on.

An interval of 21 days between periods is not normal and should be investigated especially if it persists beyond a few months. It may mean that you need an adjustment of the hormonal content of the birth control pills.

In addition your doctor may check a few blood tests such as a thyroid function test, estrogen and progesterone levels. These may provide the dded tools he or she may need to provide you with appropriate medications or adjusted hormonal content of the current birth control.

Let me reassure you also at the same time that this is something which is not life threatening or XXXXXXX I am sure you will do fine and that things will work out to adjust your cycle back to a normal interval.

Thanks again for the query. I hope you found my response to be adequate and informative. Should you have additional concerns I would be happy to address them.

Dr. Galamaga