Infant with jaundice symptoms. Done bilirubin level. What measures should be taken?

Feb 2013

Hallo sir,
My new born baby boy (17 days young) has been constantly showing symptoms of jaundice.details of his vitals on varios days is as under;-
1. Bilirubin level
- 2nd day - 4.7
- 9th day - 17.6/0.8
- 10th day morning - 15/0.8 (total/direct) post phototherapy
- 10th day eve - 13.2/1 (total/direct) post phototherapy
- 17th day - 15.1
2. SGOT (17th day) - 51
3. SGPT(17th day) - 54
He is feeding well and is purely on breast feed from 3rd day.he is decently active, although he sleeps alot.
his G6PD result is negetive.
Is there anything to worry or all normal. what measures should i take.
Posted Mon, 16 Sep 2013 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I need some more details related to baby.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for your query on Healthcare Magic.

Before advising on jaundice in your newborn baby, I need some details related to this problem.

What is his birth weight and present weight?

What are the blood groups of mother and baby?

Is the child term baby?

Was the thyroid profile test done? If done what is the report?

What is the direct bilirubin value on 17th day?

What is the color of urine and stool at present? Is there any yellow staining of the diaper or clothes?

The above details are required to rule out the different causes of jaundice in a newborn and will guide in the management.

SGPT levels are in normal range.

I request you to kindly provide the details in your next follow up query so that I can advise you in a better way.

Awaiting for the details.

Follow-up: Infant with jaundice symptoms. Done bilirubin level. What measures should be taken? 6 hours later
hi Dr Venkata,
Thanks for ur reply. Some of the details asked by u are as ander:-
1. Birth weight - 2.8 Kg
2. Present weight - 3.1 Kg
3. Blood group of Mother / baby - O+ / O+
4. BIRTH - on 39th week ( C SEC)
5. Thyroid report not yet come.
6. Direct Bilirubin on 17 day - 1.3
7. urine colour - normal
8. stool - yellow, semisolid (curd form) yellow staining of clothes.
Answered by Dr. E Venkata Ramana 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
To consult the pediatrician for phototherapy.

Detailed Answer:

Thank you getting back and providing the details.

With the details you have provided, there seems no risk factors or a known cause for a raised bilirubin at present.

Thyroid function test also to be interpreted once the report comes.

As the bilirubin is increasing, jaundice has to be lowered by using phototherapy. And bilirubin test to be done at regular intervals at least once in 24 hour to know the levels.

Drugs like phenobarbitone for a short course of 5 days will improve the liver maturation in newborns and help to excrete the bilirubin thus lowering the serum bilirubin.

Baby hydration to be maintained by giving adequate breast feeds frequently as this will help to decrease the bilirubin level.

In spite of these measure, if the bilirubin is still increasing other evaluation to be done to look for other uncommon causes.

Hence I advise you to consult the pediatrician for advise on phototherapy, medication and further evaluation depending on the bilirubin response to these measures.

Hope I have answered your query, if you have any clarification please let me know.