Infant with constipation.Painful pus filled blisters on the buttocks after eating pre made formula

Hi. My son is 7 weeks old. he was having constipation issues and not going to the bathroom without help. we were bending his legs back and spreading them. He was on gerber good start formula (orange label) the doctor last week suggested using soy formula and prune juice once a day. we started using gerber soy formula and prune juice. He was still having trouble going to the bathroom. Yesterday he had a very hard stool (like you or I would have) My husband bought similac lipil pre made formula... this morning my son woke up with small pus like bubble on his butt cheeks. The drainage is clear but he seems to be in a lot of pain. What is this and what should i do?
Posted Tue, 29 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Santosh Kondekar 1 hour later
hi Zjzbean

I would like you to know that breast feeding will be the best feed for a baby till first 6 months of age.
I hope if for any medical reasons breastfeed cannot be given to a baby, doctors are not supposed to start baby on juices but with formula substitutes.
Most formulas being made in milk and contain high proteins and phosphates and are likely to cause constipation. Prune juice should not be tried for such small babies.
Bubble you see may be related to some form of trauma to skin due to straining, but unless a doctor sees it, its difficult to be precise.
Enfamil does make stools loose in some, but often children may need medicines to tackle such constipation.
Applying a KY gelly/glycerine may make the passage of stools painless, but syrups of calcium carbonate, lactulose etc are often started by many doctors to manage constipation. When syrups dont work, a good number of babies do need repeated neotonic enemas for newborns.
Rarely there are serious diseases that may be associated with newborn constipation like say hypothyroidism; they may need detailed evaluations.
I would recommend if a neonatologist can examine the child.
thank you. feel free to ask further.
Follow-up: Infant with constipation.Painful pus filled blisters on the buttocks after eating pre made formula 56 minutes later
I thank u doctor... I did want to breast feed but many health issues I have and medications I have to take prevent me from doing so.... The doctor does suggest nutramigen... What do u think?
Yeah you may try nutramigen. More you let the child suckle at breast, more will be the milk output after 3 days.try it. Please feel free to ask any query. Donot feel guilty for not being able to brrastfed.