Infant vomiting since birth. Is emeset syrup safe for infants? What else can be done?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My baby to be 5 month old in a week is vomitting alot. He had been doing so from the time he was born. My doctor didnt worry much as he was gaining weight. Its been unbearable for last couple of days. When I consulted the doctor, he asked me to use emeset syrup(0.5 cc) three times a day before feeding. I want to know whether is it safe to use for infants. Also please let me know if it could be anything that i should check for.
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 3 hours later

I have gone through your report. Persistent vomiting is some time concerning. I feel your child definitely need certain investigation like X-ray chest, ultrasound abdomen, a milk scan to rule out esophageal reflux, etc., may be required to rule out upper gastroesophageal disorders.

In addition, ‘Emeset’ is an antiemetic containing “ondansetron” which is usually not used in infants less than 2 year old, as the studies for safety are not available in that age group. “Domperidone” may be used instead.

Though anti emetic’s may provide temporary relief but a diagnosis has to be made for cure. I suggest you to discuss about these options with your pediatrician.

Hope I have answered your query. Should you have any additional concern regarding my suggestion, feel free to write back, I will be glad to answer them.