Infant having a hard lump on the head. No other health problem. Reason?

My 21 month old has a hard lump on the top of his head (middle of head to just above the temple) and sometimes it seems to come and go, kind of where the soft spot was or is. It just seems like a weird spot for a lump. He seems otherwisehealthy and happy. Any thoughts?
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Child Health
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 hours later

Thank you for posting your query.

You will need to provide the following additional details: the colour, size (in cm), approximate shape (whether circular or irregular), the feel (soft, firm or hard), whether it is pulsating or not (like the pulse of the artery in one's wrist or neck), whether its border is well defined and distinct from the surrounding area or whether it merges into the surrounding area without a clear demarcation, whether it shines through and through when you shine a torchlight into it (you should use a penlight and not a big torch), and finally, does the child have any symptoms because of the lump.

If possible, could you take a picture with your mobile or digital camera and upload it as a "report"?

I am assuming that the child does not have similar lumps elsewhere on the body, and also that no other child of yours has a similar lump.

Kindly revert to me with the above details so that I can suggest better.

With best wishes,

Dr. Taher Kagalwala
Follow-up: Infant having a hard lump on the head. No other health problem. Reason? 55 minutes later
Thank you for your response.
The details are as follows:
The lump doesn't have a defined color it blends in with his hair and skin. Unless you were feeling the top of his head, you wouldn't see it. The size is about 10 cm and it is long not really circular. It has a very hard feel to it, it doesn't move. I haven't ever noticed it pulsating and it appears to blend in (so it is not defined or distinct). It doesn't shine through with a light and he doesn't appear to have any other symptoms. I would take a picture, but like I said earlier you can't really see it, unless you touch his head then you can feel it. He has no other lumps on his body and my other child doesn't have any lumps either.
Additionally, he doesn't seem bothered when I push on it or touch it.
Thank you,
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 27 minutes later

Thank you for posting the details so soon. I now think this is just a protuberance of his skull bone and nothing else. Perhaps if an X-ray is taken, this will become clearer. The hard feel, the fact that it seems to be a part of his skull and is not obvious or distinct lends credence to this impression. I would stop worrying about it .

As to why this protuberance has occurred - I have no clear idea. Did he fall on to his head any time in infancy? If yes, the swelling could have been a small blood clot that healed with deposition of calcium; if there was no such fall, no worries at all. I would not actually recommend a X-ray as it will expose the boy to radiation. However, if the lump increases, or the child develops symptoms like a dull headache, a vomiting or nausea that improves the headache, or absolutely any other problem that you cannot pin down to any other cause, please go to his pediatrician for a check-up.

Wish you good health.
Follow-up: Infant having a hard lump on the head. No other health problem. Reason? 17 hours later
I appreciate your insight and feel better after talking with you. I will continue to keep my eye on it and any other symptoms.
Thank you
Answered by Dr. Taher Kagalwala 2 minutes later
Hi and thanks again,

You are welcome, XXXXXXX If you like my answers and wish me to discuss about your health issues with me in future, bring it to my attention - Dr. Taher.

With warm regards,

Dr. Taher Kagalwala