Infant got rash that looks like spider bite. Should I consult a doctor?

spider bitemy 7 month old looks to have a spider bite on his arm I am not real sure when he got this or how long its been there. Not real sure if I should take him to the er or not. He is his normal self for the most part but can get extremely cranky at times and that's not like him at all.
Posted Fri, 11 Jan 2013 in Infections
Answered by Dr. Rajiv K Khandelwal 2 hours later

Thank you for your query.

An insect bite (including spider) gives a raised red swelliing which itches. No doubt your son is cranky. If it is troubling him a lot you can give him syp. promethazine (Phenargan) 1.5 ml. three times a day for relief. It shall provide some relief from itching.

I hope I have answered your query to your satisfaction. Please feel free to revert back in case you need any clarificiations or would like to share more facts.

Wishing your son an early relief.