Inconsistent bowel movements, passing gas, loose stools. On tylenol medication. Had abdominal hysterectomy. Treatment options?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I had a total abdominal hysterectomy on dec 9th. Had a bowel movement before surgery then nothing!! Was a little constipated but not much!!! Saturday night started passing gas!! Came home Monday and around 10 p.m. Had BM and have had about 5 XXXXXXX since, they are very small and splattery!! Am not taking any meds except Tylenol...
Posted Thu, 19 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 28 minutes later
Thanks for posting your query .
In any abdominal surgeries the intestines are temporarily paralysed due to effects of anaesthesia which resolves on it's own gradually as the effect wears off by first resuming peristaltic movement causing expulsion of gases and then passing stools.Also due to the edema ( swelling) of the neighbouring tissues post surgery, the gut may have some irritation and cause some irregularities of bowel like you are experiencing.
So most probably ;
Your symptoms are a normal variant of the gut's reaction to abdominal surgery which should resolve in a couple of days.
Tylenol is not likely to be the cause.
I would advise you to consult your surgeon if the problem persists beyond that.He might order a stool test to confirm the diagnosis and start appropriate treatment.
Till then please do not worry, drink plenty of fluids, eat a balanced diet and take adequate rest.
Hope I have answered your query.