I panic and hyperventilate in a warm day. Is this a form of claustrophobia?

Dec 2014

On nice, warm days, if I'm not outside or at least have the windows cracked, I panic and hyperventilate. Is this a form of claustrophobia? It doesn't happen on rainy, snowy, windy, cold or cloudy days.
Posted Mon, 13 May 2013 in Mental Health
Answered by Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi 23 minutes later
Welcome to XXXXXXX

It is a some form of phobia. It is closely related to agoraphobia. It is the fear of closed spaces or places from where escape is difficult. Usually individual remain in familier places but some times exclusive fear of any close space may be observed.

You are already on right medicines. You are on sertaline ( Zoloft) and it is a good medicine for such type of phobia. The summer aggravation of problem may be due to seasonal pattern of illness. The other reason of summer association of symptoms is change in thyroid gland functioning. You are taking medicines for thyroid (levoxyl), and in summers it may cause aggravation of panic and anxiety. Probably a little dose adjustment in levoxyl will help you in such symptoms. Consult your doctor regarding dose adjustment in levoxyl.

Thanks, hope it solves your question, if you have more queries you can ask again.

Dr. Seikhoo Bishnoi, MD