I have stopped drinking alcohol and it causes constipation. What is the best way to resolve this?

Posted Wed, 11 Apr 2012 in Constipation
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 1 hour later
Hi there.

Thank you for posting your question.

If your alcohol was taken in the form of beer, then you will need to replace your beer with plain water as a lack of water may be contributing to your constipation.

Prednisolone can also be cause of constipation, but I should imagine you are taking this for some very good reasons.

Beyond this your constipation will be much relieved with improved diet. Increase your intake of roughage like XXXXXXX fiber, potato skins, porridge, fruit and vegetables.

I hope, you found this useful and I wish you good health.

Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.