Hypertension and pain in the hand. Taking Tazloc. Need help in dosage correction

Psychiatrist
Question
I AM 57 YEARS OLD.I AM A HYPER TENSION PATIENT FOR THE LAST 10 YERS.MY FATHER AND MOTHER ALSO ARE BP PATIENTS.I AM ON MEDICATION ALL THESE YEARS.MY AVERAGE LEVELS WERE 160/80. I WAS USING ANGIZAAR AT (LARASTAN POTASSIUM 50 MG&ATENOLOL 50 MG).YESTERDAY WHEN THE DOCTOR TESTED IT WAS 170/80.THE DOCTOR HAS PRESCRIBED ONE TAZLOC AM(TELMISARTAN 40 MG&AMLODIPINE 5 MG ) IN THE MORNING AND TAZLOC-40(TELMISARTAN 40 MG ) IN THE EVENING. I RE QUEST TO GIVE YOUR OPINION WHETHER THE DOSAGE CORRECT OR A LITTLE EXCESSIVE.IF IT IS A LITTLE MORE THAN THE REQUIRED WHAT PRECATIONS I HAVE TO TAKE. I HAVE LEFT HAND PAIN FOR SEVERAL YEARS. DOCTOR SAID IT IS MUSCLE PAIN.PLEASE CLARIFY.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 1 hour later

Important aspects of your query are:
• 57 year old female
• Known case of hypertension and left hand pain
• Concern related to dose of anti hypertensive medicines

As your BP was not controlled with LARASTAN POTASSIUM 50 mg & ATENOLOL 50 mg (160-170/80mm hg) then TELMISARTAN 40 mg two times a day & AMLODIPINE 5 mg in morning is not high dose for you. Normal dose range for TELMISARTAN is 40-80 mg per day and for AMLODPINE is 2.5-20 mg.

Your doses are within the prescriptive limits. You should monitor your blood pressure daily and note in a diary with the data and time. The doctor will be able to know the fluctuations of blood pressure in a day and time. This helps him prescribe right dose and drug. Also report to your doctor if the BP drops below 100/70 mm Hg or when you experience dizziness.

I also suggest you to XXXXXXX a local Cardiologist once for his review and help your current treating doctor. A resistant hypertension can also be treated by experts. According to the recent guidelines the doctor can employ any number of drugs to reduce the blood pressure to lesser than 130/80 mmHg. Sometimes a Nephrologist can be of help to treat high blood pressure.

Regarding left hand pain: It can be neurological or muscular. To differentiate between them local examination and several investigation like x-rayou, MRI spine, nerve conduction velocity study may require.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. In case of any doubt, I will be available for follow ups.

Wish you good health.