Hurt hip. Bulging vein, tender. Is it due to blood clotting?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Hi. I got hit with a pole around my hip area at work yesterday. It really hurt. When I woke up this Morning, a vein near the area I was hit is bulging and it kind of tender. It also hurts when I move around or when there is pressure on it. I read that if getting bumped around the leg or hip can cause blood clotting. Is this the case? Thank you if you can help.
Posted Tue, 23 Apr 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury over hip area.Bulging or swelling in area where it was hit might be due to haematoma formation(collection of blood) due to rupture of microvasculature.

Do not worry, this will heal with time.I suggest you to consult a doctor nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

In the interim,apply ice packs to the affected area,anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid putting weight and rest well.

Hope this information helps you.. Please do write back if you have any additional concerns.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.

Wishing you good health...

Dr Saurabh Gupta.
Orthopaedic surgeon.