How to handle opiate withdrawl?

I am currently experiencing opiate withdrawl. I was using 6-10 percocet 30s per day. I went to a doctor today to start suboxone. I took my last percocet at 4pm today. around 2am I was in a moderate withdrawl. I took my first suboxone dose, 2mg, at that time. I didnt feel better a half hour later so I took 2mg more. I didnt feel better, even a little worse. so I took 8 mg about an hour later. still I felt really bad. so I took another 8mg a half hour later when I felt my worst. after that last dose I started to feel a little better. now I feel better except I have severe stomach pains and a headache. my question is, ahould I keep taking suboxone until all withdrawl symptoms subside?
Posted Wed, 26 Feb 2014 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 1 hour later
Brief Answer: 24mg is the maximum dose Detailed Answer: Hello, Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query. I have gone through your question in detail and I can understand what you are going through. A daily dose of suboxone should range between 4 mg and 24 mg as er the need. You have already taken 20 mg of it and you should not exceed 24 mg in a day. Some pain will always be there when the opioids are being withdrawn. Its a part of the withdrawal process. If the pain is intolerable then you may take some painkillers like diclofenac or cyclopam. Also clonidine is a good drug to control the withdrawal symptoms and you may discuss this option with your treating psychiatrist. Regarding your question proper, its advisable not to go ahead and take further suboxone. You may take some pain killers to reduce the pains of opioid withdrawal. Hope I am able to answer your concerns. If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you. If not, you may close the discussion and if possible you may rate the answer for me, so that I get a good feedback. In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: Wish you good health, Kind regards Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.